Saturday, February 12, 2011

Of Love and Chance and everything in between (In honor of happy hearts day)

I have often been characterized
as being faint of heart
not because of my spindly stature
and measly weight
but more for not leaving much to chance

I stocked up on the essentials early on:
went to a good school, got good grades,
furthered my education to ensure a good life.
I provided for the needs of the ones I loved and cared for
but wasn't really too big on the L word.

I didn't believe in its profundity then.
All I saw was a predisposition for pain,
for disappointment, for incalculable risks.
I relied more on rationality than anything else,
thinking through every possible thing in my head
leading to some lost opportunities,
some wounded pride and more essential
small parts of me lost to chance.

But love, as I have learned,
should not be a shackle that binds you.
It does not overcome all the troubles
the world most frequently has to offer.
It is not an emulsifying agent that will make us
better able to go against the world.

It helps us become better than what we are now.
It's paradoxical nature has escaped the tenets
of logical thinking for as long as I can remember,
but I understand it now. At least I think I do.

For all the craziness in this mortal world,
I feel safest in love's sweet embrace.
The more you love me, the more I am able
to fully comprehend what love is and isn't --
at the same time--it's about boundaries
and chance and adversity and letting go.
'Cause its when you leave things to chance
that life comes right back
and surprises you with something better.

Words fail me often,
but I'll try to say it the best way I know how:
I love you, babe.

No comments:

Post a Comment